Saturday, April 10, 2010

Feeling Green?

It's past St. Patrick's day but Earth day is around the corner and I'm feeling GREEN.

I'm recycling paper scraps to make my own 12x12 paper. I'm starting out with a small mold to make stationary and then I'm asking my husband to make me a custom 12x12 mold so that I can attempt to make my own acid and lignin free paper.

Here is the list of items and the Australian recipe I'm following:

1. a deckle
2. flexible mesh
3. mould
4. sponge
5. drying sheets (such as felt)
6. tub
7. 2 large bowls
8. an egg beater or potato masher (you can also use an electric blender)
9. measuring cup
10. a sieve
11. scissors, pencil, ruler, paper, glue, heavy book, old newspapers
12. paper scraps

Get everything assembled and protect your work surface with old newspapers and wear old clothes.

JUST 7 STEPS

First make 4 cups of pulp by tearing your paper into pieces the size of postage stamps. Put it into a large bowl and cover with hot water. Soak it overnight to make it easier to beat.

Second beat the soaked paper until it breaks down into a mixture like porridge.

Third pour approximately a quarter of the pulp into the tub and add warm water until the tub is 7cm full or until the pulp is runny like soup.

Fourth take the paper making frame (deckle, mesh and mould together) and dip it into the bottom of the tub and in a scooping motion bring it up out of the water.

Fifth holding the frame level, jiggle it gently back and forth and then hold it still as water drips off it. Turn it to the side/corner so water drips off the edge.

Sixth lift the deckle off the top and make sure the paper is between 2 and 5 mm thick and then transfer the paper to a drying sheet and press out the extra water with a sponge through the mesh and then remove the mesh.

Seventh set aside to dry in a warm and sunny room for at least 6 hours and then remove the drying sheet carefully.


I will be experimenting with different colored papers, textures, glitter, and even flowers/grass to add dimension to the paper.

Good luck with your project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.